06 Aug Helga Hufflepuff’s Roasted Chicken Legs Recipe
Helga Hufflepuff’s Roasted Chicken Legs
Calling all Harry Potter’s fans! Here is the recipe that I contributed with in my last summer cooking camp, fully inspired in the meals at Hogwarts. That’s what the name of the recipe comes from. I have been working on this marinade for a while. I originally tested it for chicken wings, but one day my butcher shop didn’t have wings and they gave me legs instead. After all, it’s chicken, right? The only difference when I roast wings is the temperature in the oven (180C / 350F), the rest is all the same. The smell in your kitchen will nourish your soul. You will love the flavour. I like making the most of the oven being on and serve the chicken legs with roasted mini potatoes. These bake in 30 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. I also make a green salad. I like my meals to be very colourful. Please buy the best organic chicken you can get your hands on. It is worth the taste, the quality and your health. Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients for 4 people (2 legs per person)
1kg / 2.2 lb chicken drumstick / legs
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
8 whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, depending on your taste)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon baking powder (yes! you have read right, this is what makes the legs crispy in the outside, but soft and juice in the inside. Are you hungry?)
- To prepare the marinade, pound garlic, salt and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle until it forms a paste.
- In a large bowl add garlic paste, paprika, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil, cayenne pepper and baking powder and mix well. This will result in a foamy marinade (very cool!).¡
- Thoroughly pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Toss chicken legs in the marinade until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour (if you have time).
- Preheat oven at 400F (200C).
- Place chicken legs on a baking tray / sheet over parchment / baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour, flipping chicken legs half way (after ½ hour) to ensure it cooks evenly in both sides.
- Rest chicken for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
For a VEGAN / VEGETARIAN option, marinade firm tofu and pan fry on medium heat for about 2 minutes each side. We made this for the vegetarians in the cooking camp and they loved it!
Write your comments and / or question and I will be very happy to answer you.
Please share your photos in social media and tag me.
Eat well and be happy!