13 May Sandwich Butter Biscuits (Cookies)
Sandwich Butter Biscuits (Cookies)
These cookies are very close to my heart. They’re the first biscuits I baked with my daughter when she was little. They’re perfect every day butter cookies and a delight as sandwich biscuits. Cut them in any shape that you like and fill them with your favorite jam (I like using strawberry and apricot jam). They freeze very well so you can have cookies ready to bake any time. Make a double batch and you will always have freshly baked biscuits in your pantry.
Let’s get baking!
2 Cups (300gr) all purpose/plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
14 Tablespoons (200gr) chilled salted butter
½ cup (100gr) of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)
• Sift flour with baking powder and salt (if using) into a big bowl.
• Cut butter into small cubes (dice).
• Add butter to the flour mixture and working with your hands, blend the butter with the tip of your fingers until a breadcrumbs texture is achieved. You can do this in a food processor or stand mixer (using the palette attachment with the later)
• Add sugar and keep mixing with your hands (or add to the food processor or stand mixer)
• Lightly beat the egg and vanilla.
• Add egg and vanilla and mix making figure eights with a butter knife or spatula until just combined. (If using food processor or stand mixer, mix until dough is just formed)
• Placed dough on a floured surface and knead until well combined.
• Wrap dough on baking/parchment paper (or a tea towel) and chilled for 15 min. On a very hot day, chill it in the freezer for 5 – 10 minutes.
• Cut the dough in 4 equal parts and roll them on a floured surface to 0.2” (0.5cm) in thickness.
• Choose biscuits cutters of your choice and cut enough cookies to make sandwiches. For the top layer, cut a small hole in the middle, this will allow the jam to show.
• Bake on a preheated oven at 350F (180C) for 10 to 15 minutes. (Keep a close eye as smaller biscuits will cook faster)
• Let cookies cool on a rack and start making sandwiches. Eat the small round biscuits, they are delicious!
• Sprinkle the final sandwiches with confectioners/icing sugar.
These sandwich cookies make a great gift for Christmas. Place 3 to 5 sandwich biscuits into a small bag or gift box and tie a ribbon with a tag listing the ingredients. Your friends and family will love them!
Don’t forget to share your photos and tag me 🙂
Leave your comments, I’ll love to hear from you!
Eat well and be happy!